The Third Meeting of the Basel Convention Plastic Waste Partnership (PWP) Working Group was held in Punta del Este, Uruguay, from 23 to 25 November 2022. This meeting saw the attendance of our Director Ms. Jewel Batchasingh, as well as other national waste and chemicals management representatives from across the globe and regionally. Ms. Batchasingh attended in her capacity as co-chair of Project Group 4 on Outreach, Education and Awareness Raising.
The PWP was established under the Basel Convention to mobilise business, government, academic and civil society resources, interests and expertise to improve and promote the environmentally sound management (ESM) of plastic waste at the global, regional and national levels. Additionally, the goal of the PWP is to significantly reduce and minimise the generation of plastic waste, thereby eliminating plastic discharge into the environment. This meeting provided the opportunity for the working group to assess the developments in its project groups as well as to plan for upcoming activities. The meeting allowed stakeholders to:
- Discuss working modalities of the PWP, including the membership and financial arrangements;
- Receive updates on key developments of relevance to the work of the PWP;
- Track progress in the implementation of project group workplans and consider available outputs;
- Consider a report on the PWP pilot project programme;
- Develop the PWP working group workplan for the biennium 2024-2025;
- Discuss activities that can promote working group cooperation and coordination