In our second day in Belize City, the BCRC-Caribbean convenes its 2nd Annual Project Steering Committee Meeting for the GEF 5558 project. The GEF 5558 project, entitled “Development and Implementation of a Sustainable Management Mechanism for POPs in the Caribbean” seeks to build both institutional and human resource capacity to deal with the impacts of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) and unintentionally produced POPs in eight of the Caribbean countries who are Parties to the Stockholm Convention. The project commenced in December 2015 and is anticipated to be completed by November 2020.
Once again the meeting is hosted through the kind generosity of the Belizean Government and in particular the Department of Environment.
The members of the PSC (or their designate) from the eight (8) participating countries are all present in Belize City for the meeting. The countries are Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Belize, the Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, the Republic of Suriname and the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
Additionally, representatives from the project’s implementing agency, the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) are in attendance. They are Dr. Alfredo Cueva, UNIDO’s GEF 5558 Project Officer, and Dr. Szabolcs Fejes, UNIDO’s Consultant for the BAT/BEP demonstration projects in Belize, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago. The Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA) is also present. CARPHA is the Consultant tasked with the update of the National Implementation Plans for the eight (8) participating countries.
The BCRC-Caribbean project execution team is represented by Dr. Ahmad Khan – Director, Ms. Jewel Batchasingh – Planning, Policy and Research Analyst, and Ms. Rachel Boodoo – Project Assistant (Technical).
This meeting is integral to the project’s monitoring and evaluation requirements, through which the PSC can review the progress of the project and plan the way forward.
The objectives of the meeting are to:
1. Review the status of implementation of the GEF 5558 Project in Year I.
2. Present the BCRC-Caribbean’s work programme for Years II and III.
3. Present UNIDO’s work programme for Years II and III for the three (3) demonstration projects carded for Belize, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.
4. Review the project expenditure incurred for Year I and to plan the project expenditure for Years II and III.
5. Review the Contractor/Consultant Management system, In-Kind Commitments of each project beneficiary country, In-Country and Institutional arrangements to support the project execution and general reporting for the project.
The meeting’s agenda is enclosed.